Sunday, March 27, 2011

Some ups & some downs

During the weekend I tried to install my first tubeless wheel. I must admit that I was expecting a struggle to get it to fit, but not as difficult as it actually turned out to be. Difficult as in "impossible"; at least with my tools. 

Result: After struggling for a day, going out for more & longer tire-bars and new rim protectors, I successfully destroyed both the bead of the Continental Twist & also the rim edge. (Rim protectors from SIP: Too soft. Rim protectors from Biltema: Much harder, to a point where they have to be pressed onto the rim edge. These were an absolute nightmare to work with on a 10" wheel.)

It started with a scratch, and then another one, and then the tire edge was damaged... and the rim edge. After some time I just gave up both the rim & tire. I figured I might as well use this wheel for practice, and started working without rim protectors. 

Tirebars of different lengths, rim protectors of different qualities, bead-breaker and a semi-mounted tubeless, but destroyed rim/tire. 

Lesson learned: right tools is at least 50% of the job. I need a tire changer, for example this tool to get this job done myself. No-mar tire changers are available on Ebay for a reasonable cost, I might be crazy enough to invest in one... 

Second work done this weekend can be read and viewed in my Rally and 180SS blogs. 

Third. To mark summertime and start of new scooter season, Roughnecks Scooterclub had its first rideout in 2011 today. If you wan't to read or view pictures from this, visit Roughnecks homepage (google translate available) and Roughnecks Facebook page (sorry, Norwegian only).



No comments:

Post a Comment